In a landmark judgement passed by the court – A married women too is responsible for maintaining the parents. This is far by the most righteous step towards women equality. It is not always about demanding rights ,but doing our duties too.
With this judgement ,many old age notions will be broken-
- So many people still prefer educating boys over girls ,as they see them as their providers . This will help break the bias and encourage parents to educate their girls.
- It will also help in negating the belief of daughters being “Paraya Dhan”(belonging to somebody else’s family) and thus not taking money from them.
- It puts a stand in the society that -If after marriage girl becomes part of husband’s family that does not imply she has left her parents family.
- This judgement encourages women to be financially independent not just for themselves but for their parents too.
- With a girl no more being a burden the practice of dowry and female infanticide will abolish.
- Most importantly ,it does away with gender defined roles .
Kudos to this judgement!!
This post was published on WomensWeb